2020 Kitchen & Bath Design Contest: Kitchen Design Consultants
Nancy Evans, Kitchen Design Consultants
1) What is your official title and do you have any specific design qualifications? Nancy Evans, CKD Kitchen Design Consultant, LLC Owner/President
2) How long have you been designing kitchens and baths? 25+ years
3) What was the most challenging part of this design? The homeowner’s wanted the design to include incorporating the dining room, kitchen and breakfast area. Because the overall kitchen length of the space was three times the width the greatest challenge was to not make the design appear like a bowling alley. I was able to overcome this by opening the staircase from the front entrance into what was the dining room., widening the hallway from the kitchen to the living room and shortening the kitchen wall to open up the space to the rear entrance of the laundry room and adding a barn door for interest. Also, adding a peninsula and island seating were designed within the space for ideal entertainment. These factors gave the overall illusion of a wider space that was more in proportion to the length of the room.
4) What is your general design philosophy when it comes to kitchens and baths? Since the kitchen is the HEART of the home, my philosophy is to combine aesthetics, functionality and authenticity in order to make my clients dream come true.
5) Do you have a special look, feeling, or feature in mind when crafting this space or what was your inspiration? My inspiration was drawn from the large windows, bringing the outside in with natural lighting which invoked the color palette to be used for softer, warmer, and natural tones within the space. A mixture of organic metals such as the cabinet hardware, wood tone accents in the hood and floor as well as the mat textured backsplash tiles and glass pendants inspired a natural setting. The accents from the sky-blue colors used on the barn door inspired by nature gave it a softer touch.
7) Please list 4 manufactures of pieces in your design (lighting, tile, vanity, etc). Cabinets – Best Price Custom Cabinets, Backsplash Tile – MSI Surfaces, Appliances – GE Café line, Countertops – Quartz, (Blanca Statuarietto) MS Surfaces, Hardware – Liberty Modern Home Depot, Pendant – Progressive Lighting (Judson)
8) What is the square footage of this design? 300 sq feet
9) Can you give homeowner’s 3 tips to help create a similar design? Tip 1: Consider removing walls and moving and expanding doorways to accommodate the design and function of your dreams. Tip 2: Choosing materials, textures, and colors to fit the atmosphere and aesthetic that will make you comfortable to live with. Tip 3: To be open-minded and flexible to be able to give and take your wants and needs to create your ultimate goal.
10) What is a common mistake homeowners make when designing their kitchen and bath? The biggest mistake homeowners make by redesigning their kitchen is not hiring a Certified kitchen and bath designer.