2020 Kitchen & Bath Contest: SDR Atlanta
Princess Thompson, SDR Atlanta
1) What is your official title and do you have any special design qualifications? Senior Designer and Showroom Designer
2) How long have you been designing kitchens and baths? 23 years
3) What was the most challenging part of this design? Bathroom: tight space, very narrow bathroom; Kitchen: Windows and doors
4) What were the client’s needs for this bath and in the end their favorite feature(s) of this design? Classic design and function
5) What is your general design philosophy when it comes to kitchens/bathrooms? classic, timeless and function
6) Did you have a special look, feeling, or feature in mind when crafting this space or what was your inspiration? I design for my homeowner. I combine my vision with their style and needs in mind.
7) Please list four manufacturers of pieces in your design (lighting, cabinets, tile, vanity, etc). Bath: Medallion Cabinetry, MSI, The Tile Shop, Delta; Kitchen: US Cabinet Depot, MSI, Granite and Marble Solutions, Top Knobs
8) What is the square footage of this design (it doesn’t have to be exact you can estimate)?Bath 100 sq ft, Kitchen 300 sq ft
9) Can you give homeowner’s three tips to help create a similar design? Think classic and simple. Have fun with the tile. Mix and match colors, textures and styles.
10) What is a common mistake homeowners make when redesigning their kitchen/bath?Cutting corners, playing too safe, not being open to a new space plan because it’s what they are used to.