5 Tips for Organizing and Decorating Small Spaces
1) Make your home “appear” larger. If you’ve ever walked into a wall at a restaurant because you thought the reflection of tables and chairs were real, then you’ve been “punked” – by mirrors that is! Adding mirrors to small spaces give the illusion of having more room that what’s really there. The best place to add a mirror is on the wall behind a sofa or in the bedroom behind your bed. You can even get creative by adding multiple mirrors forming various patterns. Instead of going for the usual square or rectangular mirrors, stores like Target offer decorative mirror options, such as the Threshold Starburst Mirror or the Wire Capiz Sunburst Wall Mirror.
2) Create focal points. Whether it’s a piece of art, a cool sofa or a patterned rug, create a focal point in the room. Visitors and guest will be so attracted to the focal point that they will not notice the small space. Larger carpets and rugs are a great way to anchor a room. The floor is an important element or architectural space. Rugs and carpets draw attention to the floor and also set a palate for the sofa, lamps, end and coffee tables.
3) Multipurpose furniture. Storage beds with drawers beneath the mattress, such as the Concord Bed from Hayneedle or the Brimnes Bed from Ikea, allow for more organization and saved space. Furniture covers that double as a pet throw, such as the Matelasse Damask Sofa Cover or the Ballad Bouquet by Waverly Chair Cover, save you the hassle or purchasing numerous pet pillows for furry friends.
4) Organize your junk drawer. There’s absolutely no reason why household tools, your jewelry and old bank statements should be in the same drawer. Organize your drawers to eliminate clutter. Of course no one can see inside of your drawers but you. However, organizing your junk drawer will save you loads of time when you go to look for a necessary item….car keys perhaps!
5) Add shelving space. Shelves not only provide space for items such as books or DVD’s, it also provides you with “extra” decorating space. Picture frames, knickknacks and flower arrangements will add a little touch of personality to the home, while also creating more space and organization to any room.
– Tips provided by Sheryl Boltze, Creative Director at Sure FIt
Images provided by Sure Fit