Expert Tip Monday: How To Not Have A Sizzling Spring
How is everyone feeling about today’s weather? Pretty great, right?
Oh, it’s in the ‘70s and breezy and blissful now but don’t get too comfortable. Because in Atlanta? Spring lasts about three minutes. Before we all know it, temperatures will be sky-high and humid. So if your HVAC system isn’t ready, you’re going to be miserable.
Let’s keep your proverbial egg out of the frying pan, with the help of our expert friends at ARS Universal Heating and Air Conditioning.
They’ve compiled a list of five most common HVAC issues that can cause your system to fail you. And fry you.
- Low Levels of Refrigerant – The level of refrigerant should be checked and any leaks sealed at the beginning of every cooling season.
- Frozen Coil – This problem indicates that your system is working too hard and a professional should be called to find the reason.
- Faulty Thermostat – Sometimes this problems is very hard to diagnose but is extremely inexpensive to repair.
- Worn Capacitors, Fuses or Contactor – Simple replacement repairs that are, nevertheless, best left to a professional.
- Faulty Wiring – Poorly connected wires are a hazard and can quickly cause damage to your equipment. (An HVAC pro should definitely be used if this is the problem.)
Did your heart sink just then, at the idea of having to find a reputable, affordable HVAC pro? No worries, just use this checklist when you are trying to find a good, reliable contractor:
- Obtain written proof of insurance and licensing from the contractor.
- Ask for and make sure to actually contact recent references about the quality of workmanship.
- Get a thorough home energy evaluation from each bidder.
- Ask for an itemized estimate and compare the equipment and warranty.
- Finalize the deal with a contract before work starts.
There. You now have the list of possible, most common HVAC problems – and their solutions. You're finally ready for those impending, sizzling temps.