Outdoor Kitchen Tips
The biggest trend this year is bringing the inside out. “People want to do a whole outdoor room—a full kitchen built for the outdoors,” says Randall Burks of Lowe’s. The main consideration you need to make before purchasing an outdoor kitchen is how long you plan on staying at your current residence. “An outdoor kitchen is a permanent part of your house,” Burks says. “If a move is in your near future, consider a mobile kitchen.”
One option is the Sonoma Modular Outdoor Kitchen, which includes:
- Sonoma by Altima Modular Island Gas Grill (item 296470, $999). This stainless-steel modern grill has FlameGuard Technology that will virtually eliminate unwanted flare-ups while distributing even heat, along with internal hood lights, a granite work surface, four stainless-steel burners and one infrared searing burner.
- Refrigerator (item 296471, $449).
- Sonoma by Altima Sink/Stove/Bar (item 296472, $799). This combination griddle and cooktop matches the same sleek design as the rest of the Sonoma collection. Features include a towel bar directly in front of the sink, storage drawers and a liquid propane rollout tank tray.
All Sonoma products are available at Lowe’s. Visit www.lowes.com or call (800) 445-6937 for store locations.
If you’re looking for a more permanent option, Atlantis Outdoor Kitchens offers three new pre-finished outdoor-kitchen designs. Available at www.outdoorkitchensbyatlantis.com, these pre-designed stations start at $3,864:
- The Grilling Station includes two base cabinets and a Vermont Castings grill with a grill base.
- The Chef’s Station includes cabinets, a three- or five-burner grill and a Marvel refrigerator.
- The Entertainment Station includes cabinets, a grill, a refrigerator, a cocktail station and more.
The Liberty Collection’s new curved-island outdoor kitchen is the perfect solution for any outdoor party The 360-degree viewing capability of outdoor cooking will be a prime entertainment spot. The Liberty Collection’s components are shipped ready to assemble. The collection features the All-Grill unit, which offers two independent burners, a patented DCS Grease Management System that reduces flare-ups and ceramic radiant technology that ensures the cooking surface has an even-heat distribution; the side-burner griddle includes two sealed burners and a stainless-steel griddle; and the DCS refrigeration line features a cooling drawer, a traditional cold-storage unit, a beer tap and an ice cream machine. Pricing varies, depending on which features are selected; www.dcsappliances.com, (888) 936-7872.
Ready, set, grill
Check out two top-of-the-line grills that have recently hit the market:
- The Hybrid Grill by Kalamazoo Outdoor Gourmet allows you to cook with wood, charcoal and gas at the same time. Features include a warming rack, vent-control hood and stainless-steel cabinetry. Built in models $7,495-$11,995; free-standing model $8,095-$14,695; www. kalamazoooutdoorgourmet.com; (800) 868-1699.
- The new Team Grill Patio Series MVP gas grills are the first to feature the colors and logo of your favorite college team. The grill features a porcelain-enameled lid with team logos, three stainless-steel burners, one infrared searing burner and more. $1,249; Team Grill; www.teamgrill.com.
Here are some of the latest cooking accessories to complete your outdoor kitchen:
Give the grill a break with Alfresco’s VersaPower Multi-use Cooker. This cooker has a special heavy-duty spider grate that will handle the smallest of saucepans up to a 100-quart stock pot. It can also act as a turkey fryer. $1,399; www.builderspecialties.net; (770) 255-1400.
Add some entertainment to a lazy afternoon with a SunBriteTV’s All-Weather Outdoor LCD television. Features include an anti-glare screen and a built-in fan and heater to regulate temperatures. Prices start at $1,895; www.authenteak.com; (404) 525-1995.
Dish out pizza with the Outdoor Artisan Pizza Oven by Kalamazoo. The first of its kind, this pizza oven is made of stainless steel and powered by natural or LP gas. Easy to install, it sits on a countertop and adds versatility to any patio or outdoor kitchen. $3,990; www.kalamazoogourmet.com; (800) 868-1699.