The Importance of Curb Appeal in a Rising Housing Market
By Lawn Doctor
As a general rule of thumb, first impressions are lasting. In a housing market that is anything butfriendly, homeowners deserve every advantage they can get when trying to sell. Lawn maintenance is one of the least expensive steps a homeowner can take to make their house attractive to potential buyers. Here are some great tips that any homeowner can use to affect not only what the buyer sees from the curb, but from inside the house, too – to give a seller the edge in today’s competitive market:
• Mow and maintain – A neatly trimmed, weed- and pest-free yard says a home is properly maintained by a caring homeowner. If there’s a sign in the yard, people will be scrutinizing the lawn regularly.
• Trim walkways – Overgrown shrubs and plants that block walkways can make a home seem uninviting when a potential buyers has to negotiate around them.
• Let in the light – Dark rooms are one of the biggest turn-offs for buyers. Cut back or remove old landscaping that blocks windows to allow natural light to stream in.
• Show off your architecture – Overgrown landscaping can hide attractive architectural details such as columns, unique windows, rooflines and doors or other features that buyers love.
• Plan ahead – If your house isn’t on the market yet, but you are planning to sell in the next year, you have a great opportunity to work on lawn problem areas such as bald patches or brown spots that can’t be fixed overnight. Whether you’re looking to sell your home or just some fun and easy ways to spruce things up, these tips are a great way to highlight the true beauty of your home.
Get more expert advice from Atlanta area home improvement professionals.