Holiday Lawn Decorations Do’s and Don’ts
The holiday season is upon us, and with it comes the joy of turning your home into a winter wonderland or a dazzling spectacle of lights. As much as we love the holiday spirit, it’s crucial to remember that those twinkling lights and oversized inflatables can have an impact on your lawn. Here is some expert advice from NG Turf on how to keep your lawn healthy while also making it look festive.
Choose LED Lights
- Why: LED lights generate less heat compared to traditional incandescent bulbs. Less heat means less chance of scorching your grass.
- Expert Tip: Choose LED lights to minimize heat exposure on your grass, helping to maintain its health and color throughout the holiday season.
Use Lawn-Friendly Stakes
- Why: Using wooden stakes or specialized lawn stakes helps to secure decorations without damaging the root system of your grass.
- Expert Tip: When removing the stakes, gently wiggle them to ease them out without pulling up chunks of turf.
Install Inflatables on Level Ground
- Why: Setting up inflatables on uneven ground can lead to pooling water, which can create soggy conditions that are unhealthy for your lawn.
- Expert Tip: Use inflatables with built-in air pumps, as they distribute weight more evenly and are less likely to damage the grass.
Keep an Eye on Irrigation
- Why: Be mindful of where you place decorations in relation to your irrigation system. Blocking sprinklers can lead to uneven watering.
- Expert Tip: Use your irrigation system’s map as a guide when laying out your decorations.
Don’t Overload Your Lawn
- Why: Overloading your lawn with heavy decorations can cause soil compaction and limit oxygen to the roots.
- Expert Tip: Less is more. Choose a few impactful decorations rather than overcrowding your lawn.
Don’t Leave Decorations Up Too Long
- Why: Your grass needs sunlight and air, even in the wintertime. Leaving decorations up for extended periods can lead to yellow, unhealthy patches.
- Expert Tip: Try to limit the time that decorations stay on your lawn to no more than 30 days.
Don’t Ignore Power Cords
- Why: Laying power cords haphazardly can be not only a tripping hazard but also a cause for lawn damage.
- Expert Tip: Run cords along the edges of your lawn or use outdoor cord covers that can be staked into the ground.
Don’t Forget to Fertilize
- Why: During the busy holiday season, lawn care often takes a backseat. However, fertilizing is essential for grass health, especially after removing decorations.
- Expert Tip: Consider using a winter fertilizer that can help your lawn recover and prepare it for spring.
By following these do’s and don’ts, you can celebrate the holiday season without compromising the health of your lawn. A festive yard and a healthy lawn aren’t mutually exclusive; with a little bit of planning and care, you can have the best of both worlds.
Happy Holidays from all of us at NG Turf!