Laundry Room Re-do
Love it or hate it, the laundry must be done; however, you can make your laundry chores as pleasant as possible by creating a space filled with efficient work areas and abundant, stylish storage.
1. Labeled boxes and bins can store seasonal decorations, craft supplies or seldom used items.
2. Take maximum advantage of vertical space by installing sturdy shelving to the ceiling. Be sure to leave enough space between shelves to accommodate laundry supplies and storage needs.
3. Make sure laundry products are stored within easy reach. Shelf dividers and storage jars keep large items tidy and small items together.
4. Create a hanging area for clothes that need to air dry and to temporarily hold hanging items fresh from the dryer to avoid wrinkling.
5. Liven up your laundry room with a bright wall color. Laundry areas are usually smaller, less seen spaces so it’s a good place to be creative with color.
6. If you have a front-loading washer, install a countertop over the appliances to double as a laundry-folding surface. If space is limited, consider a stackable washer and dryer option.
7. If space permits, install a small sink for hand washing delicates and spot removal.
8. Keep a small wastebasket in the laundry area for disposing of dryer sheets, dryer lint and other items.
9. Delicate items can air-dry on a folding dryer, which can be stored when not in use. Short on floor space? Consider a retractable interior clothesline.
10. Use baskets to sort clothes coming in and out. Label baskets for darks, lights and delicates, or have one for each family member. If space is an issue, consider a folding hamper with multiple compartments.
|Tips to make your laundry room “green”
• Switch to plant-based detergents and non-chlorine bleach products.