Tips for Preventing Insect Stings
by Lauren Bullington, Arrow Exterminators
Anyone that has had an encounter with one of the stinging insects on our list knows that they can really put a damper on summer fun. Take the sting out of your summer with our prevention tips:
- Cut back or get rid of unnecessary vegetation around your home where pests can breed or nest.
- Use airtight containers to store leftover food, particularly sweets.
- Eliminate sources of standing water such as children’s wading pools, birdbaths and flower pots. Additionally, clean out rain gutters to prevent water from standing in the drains.
- If you encounter a stinging insect, remain calm and avoid swaying as this may provoke an attack.
- When eating outside, keep food covered until ready to eat and keep drinks in covered pitches.
- Wear shoes when outdoors, especially grassy areas.
- Call a licensed pest professional at the first sign of an infestation. Stinging insects can pose as a dangerous threat to you, your family and your pets and extreme caution should be used when removing their nests.
By taking the necessary prevention steps and getting the help of experts with specialized training, homeowners can protect their property and be confident that stinging insects won’t ruin their summer fun. We hope these tips help you and your family have a sting-free summer!
Get more advice from our home improvement experts.