Get Tidy Tips
Spring has arrived and nothing welcomes the season like a clean house. According to a recent survey conducted by The Soap and Detergent Association, 60 percent of Americans agree that springtime is the best time to eliminate clutter and dirt from their homes. Prepare in advance with these timesaving spruce-up strategies.
Start by identifying your clutter source. Determining the source helps to eliminate future clutter and keeps your home organized in a more efficient manner. The following suggestions help combat clutter stemmed from common sources: paper, kids and limited space.
• Keep a small paper bag at the front door to hold junk mail and catalogues. At the end of the week, toss the whole bag in the recycling bin and replace the bag.
• Designate one container for each family member to place incoming clutter such as shoes, toys, or sports equipment.
• File all mail, permission slips, invitations, coupons, etc. in specific folders. At the end of the week, sort through the papers, discard outdated materials, send replies or pay bills.
• Utilize hooks to hang garden, sports and automobile equipment and keep the floor space clear.
Tip: Keep all car wash products in bucket and hang the bucket on one of the hooks for easy access.
• Spend one day conducting a thorough organization of the house, especially bedrooms.
Tip: Enlist the help of family members to sort through clothes and toys. Sell the discarded belongings at a garage sale and use the money to reward your family for helping.
• Encourage your family to use fewer glasses and dishes to practice daily water conservation.
Tip: Give each family member a water bottle and/or cup to reuse for water throughout the day.