Winter Lawn Care Calendar: Helpful tips to attain a beautiful yard this spring!
As winter blankets Georgia in frosty temperatures, it’s important to prioritize your lawn’s care. Taking a proactive approach to winter lawn care is crucial for ensuring a vibrant yard come spring. Here are some essential tasks to keep your lawn healthy throughout the winter season and ready for spring’s arrival.
Assess and Tidy Up
With the new year underway, focus on:
• Clearing Debris: Remove fallen leaves, branches, and any clutter from your lawn to prevent matting and mold growth.
• Irrigation System: Shut off and drain your irrigation system to prevent freezing and damage.
Watch for Winter Weeds
Keep an eye out for winter weeds like clover and chickweed. Tasks for this month include:
• Weed Control: Spot- treat any winter weeds that pop up to prevent them from spreading.
• Fertilization: Apply a winter-appropriate fertilizer to nourish the roots during dormancy.
Prune and Prepare for Growth
As March arrives, show your lawn some attention by:
• Pruning Trees and Shrubs: Trim overgrown branches to allow more sunlight to reach your lawn.
• Aeration: Consider aerating your soil to improve water and nutrient absorption.
Early Spring Prep
With the arrival of spring, it’s time to kick- start your lawn’s growth:
• Pre-emergent Weed Control: Apply a pre- emergent herbicide to prevent warm-season weeds like crabgrass.
• Soil Testing: Conduct a soil test to determine any nutrient deficiencies and adjust your fertilization plan accordingly.
By following this month-by-month winter lawn care calendar, you’ll be well on your way to a beautiful spring yard that’s the envy of the neighborhood. Don’t let the colder months deter you from taking care of your lawn; with a little planning and effort, you can enjoy a healthy yard all year round. Remember, NG Turf is here to support you with expert advice and premium sod varieties for your unique needs. So, roll up your sleeves, embrace the winter, and watch your lawn flourish in the coming spring!